Let's Look At Mobile Apps
Weekly App archive – 2018 –
A mobile app is a software program you can download and access using your phone or tablet. If you have a smartphone or another mobile device, you probably use apps.
- To play games – Get turn-by-turn directions – Access news, books, weather, and more.
To download and use an app you'll need a smartphone or tablet with internet access. Not all apps work on all mobile devices. Once you buy a device, you’re committed to using the operating system and the type of apps that go with it. The Android, Apple, mobile operating systems have app stores online where you can look for, download, and install apps. You have to use an app store that works with your device’s operating system. Usually, you set up an account, you'll have to provide a credit card number if you’re going to download an app that isn’t free.
You can access the internet using a data plan tied to your phone service, or through a Wi-Fi hotspot, at home, the library, hotel, many restaurants, and cafes.
Wi-Fi connections usually are faster, but you have to be in the range of a hotspot to use one. Most public Wi-Fi hotspots like those in coffee shops, airports, and hotels – don't encrypt the information you send over the internet and are not secure.
With a home wireless network, you'll need to pay for internet access and a wireless router, and you’ll want to take steps to secure the network.
Some apps are distributed for free through app stores, their developers make money in a few ways:
- Some sell advertising space within the app.
- Some apps offer their basic versions for free if you like the app enough you might upgrade to a paid version.
- Some apps allow you to buy more features within the app itself. You might be billed for these in-app purchases through the app store. Most devices have settings that allow you to block in-app purchases.
- Some apps are offered free by a company to access their services, banking, shopping, hotel booking, ride apps…
- Many apps are a form of advertising.
I use Google Opinion Rewards to earn credits to pay for my apps. Answer quick surveys and earn Google Play credit with Google Opinion Rewards, an app created by the Google Surveys team.
How Get Apps
- Downloading Apps on Android by MakeUseOf.com – So you’re new to Android, and you’re trying to find where you go to download apps? We understand that it can be confusing at first, so we’d like to step you through all your options.
- Use the App Store on your iOS devices, Apple TV, or computer – Use the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV (4th generation), or computer to purchase and download apps, see your previous purchases, and more.
My Most Used Apps
- Google Photos – Your photos and videos will be automatically backed up and organized, so you can find and share them faster and you'll never run out of space on your phone.
- Google Maps
- Gboard — a new keyboard from Google
- How to use Gboard
- Gboard – the Google Keyboard – Android Apps on Google Play – Gboard has everything you love about Google Keyboard—speed and reliability, Glide Typing, voice typing, and more—plus Google Search built in.
- Gboard — a new keyboard from Google on the App Store – Gboard is a new keyboard from Google for your iPhone. It has all the things you would expect from a great keyboard — GIFs, emojis, and Glide.
- Dark Sky – The Accurate source of hyperlocal weather information. paid
- Control and Manage Cell Data Usage
- Google's Datally App Can Save On Mobile Data Usage. Datally, is available in the Google Play marketplace. Once installed, the app conducts an audit on the apps you're running on your smartphone to find out what kind of data they're consuming. From there, you can decide on an app-by-app basis how much data they should consume. Datally also features a Data Saver Bubble feature that shows you data usage in real-time. You can use the bubble to block an app from consuming data.
Facebook alternative apps
- On Android Folio Classic (a.k.a. Folio Pro)
- Top 5 Facebook Alternative Apps For iOS Devices by techwiser.com
Apps I Use Regularly, they're mostly paid versions.
- aCalendar+ – aCalendar+ gives you many additional calendar features.
- Amazon Shopping – Buy with confidence, knowing that all transactions are securely processed.
- Android Auto – Android Auto is your smart driving companion.
- Authenticator – Google Authenticator generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone.
- Authy – The Authy app generates secure 2 step verification tokens on your device.
- Bring! – Create and share your shopping lists with your family, colleagues or friends.
- Dark Sky – Dark Sky is the most accurate source of hyperlocal weather information.
- Datally – It’s a mobile data manager that will help you monitor, save, and gain control of your data.
- Files Go – Files Go is a new storage manager that helps you free up space on your phone, find files faster, and share them easily offline with others.
- Find My Device – Find My Device helps you easily locate a lost Android device, and keeps your information safe and sound while you look.
- Folio Pro – Folio Pro comes built with add-ons for Twitter, Google+, Instagram & Tumblr. Get to your favorites fast by enabling them in Folio Pros settings menu.
- GasBuddy – Locate the gas stations with the lowest-priced gas — no matter the type — near you.
- Gmail – Get your messages instantly via push notifications, read and respond online & offline, and find any message quickly.
- Google News – Google News organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
- Google Opinion Rewards – Answer quick surveys and earn Google Play credit with Google Opinion Rewards, an app created by the Google Surveys team.
- Google Pay – Google Pay works at millions (yes, millions) of places around the world, from retail stores to corner shops.
- Heavens-Above Pro – Heavens-Above app provides you with precise pass predictions for the ISS, visible satellites, Iridium flares and radio satellites.
- Home – With the Google Home app, you can set up and control your Chromecast, Google Home, and other Assistant speakers
- Keep – Add notes, lists and photos to Google Keep.
- LastPass – LastPass is a password manager and password generator that locks your passwords and personal information in a secure vault.
- MoviePass – MoviePass is the nation’s premier theatrical subscription service, allowing you to see new movies in theaters in over 4000 theaters across the United States for one low subscription fee.
- PhotoScan – PhotoScan is a new scanner app from Google Photos that lets you scan and save your favorite printed photos using your phone’s camera.
- Pocket – Pocket is your place to quickly save, discover, and recommend the best, most interesting stories on the Web.
- Pocket Casts – A podcast player that is full featured, beautiful and easy to use.
- Pushbullet – Conveniently send and receive SMS messages from your computer.
- QR & Barcode Scanner PRO – QR & Barcode Scanner is the fastest QR / barcode scanner.
- QuickSupport – Get support for your mobile device from any Windows or Mac computer.
- Rain Alarm Pro – This weather app alerts you when rain is approaching. The alerts are a reliable short-term forecast based on near real-time data.
- Regal Cinemas – Find movies & showtimes for nearby Regal Cinemas, Edwards and United Artists theatres, and purchase tickets on-the-go with the official Regal Cinemas app.
- Simple Radio – Simple Radio by Streema is the simplest way of listening to your favorite FM Radio stations, AM Radio, Internet Radio Online and Free radio stations.
- Solid Explorer – This is the only fully featured file manager with Material Design you can find in the Play Store.
- Weather Underground – Weather Underground Android app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps and severe weather alerts
- WeatherBug – WeatherBug is powered by the world's largest network of professional weather stations.
- what3words – Use what3words to share the precise delivery point for where you live or work; organise the perfect meeting spot or pinpoint hard-to-find places on your travels.
- Word Lens – Instantly translate printed words with your phone’s camera.
- YoWindow – YoWindow is a unique new weather app. The magic of YoWindow is a living landscape that reflects your actual weather. For instance, if it's raining – it rains in YoWindow.