What is a Chromebook?
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a new type of computer designed to help you get things done faster and easier. Powered by Google's Chrome OS™, and featuring built-in, up-to-date virus protection along with Google apps and services like Gmail™, Google Calendar™, Docs and Google Play™ (plus thousands more in the Chrome Web Store™). Unlike traditional PCs, Chromebooks update themselves automatically for free, so you always have the latest and greatest version, while your stuff stays safe with Google Drive™ online file storage that's automatically backed up. And Chromebooks play nicely with your other devices—your phone, tablet or another computer—so you can stay in sync with your day from wherever you are.
Chromebook Reviews and Recommendations – 2018
Specifications I recommend include
- 2 in1 – Laptop convertible to Tablet with touchscreen
- One of the following processors CPU's Intel Celeron N3060, Celeron N3150 Intel, Celeron N3160 or higher-end Intel Core m3-6Y30, Core m5-6Y57
- 4 GB or 8 GB RAM
- 16 GB or 32 GB Storage (SSD)
- Display Resolution 1920 x 1080 or more
Nice things to have
- Backlit keyboard
- Good trackpad
- USB type C
- Big screen, low-cost, and good value:
Acer 15.6" FHD IPS Touch-Screen Chromebook-Intel Quad Core N4200 up to 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD – $343.80 Prime Webcam, WIFI, Bluetooth, Chrome OS-Aluminum Chassis – 15.6-in Full HD (1920×1080) IPS multitouch screen for hands-on control. LED backlight. Intel Quad Core N4200 up to 2.5 GHz. 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM.
Acer Chromebook 15 CB5-571-C09S (15.6-Inch Full HD IPS, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD) $268.00 Prime
- 2-in-1 convertible, 12.3-inch, 2,400 by 1,600 resolution, pressure-sensitive pen, and support for Android apps.
Samsung Chromebook Plus Convertible Touch Laptop (XE513C24-K01US) $401.99
Samsung Pro 2-in-1 12.3" TouchScreen Chromebook – Intel Core – 4GB RAM – 64GB eMMC Flash Memory :$588.44 – Display Size:12.3 inches, Computer Memory Size:4.0 GB, Hard Disk Size:64.0 GB, Cpu Model Family:Athlon II Dual Core M320
How to print from a Chromebook by CNET
There's no shortage of myths and misconceptions regarding Google's Chrome OS. Most commonly found on a slew of Chromebooks, Chrome OS is more than a glorified browser. Under the hood, it offers file management, standalone apps, access to the Google Play Store and, yes, printing.
Set up your printer Google help – You can print from your Chromebook using most Wi-Fi printers.
If you're looking for more useful tools for your Chromebook, be sure to check out
PCWorld's guide to 12 powerful websites that can replace your desktop software.
When the web is enough, a Chromebook is enough by Andy Wolber February 6, 2015 techrepublic.com
5 powerful things you didn't know Chromebooks could do by Chris Hoffman PCWorld
15 Time-Saving Chromebook Tips by omgchrome.com
How to run Microsoft Office on the Chromebook (for free) YouTube video by C.K. Koay
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Chromebox by JOEY-ELIJAH SNEDDON omgchrome.com
Time for you to get that Chromebook – Al-haadi Abu BakarThe Brunei Times/Asia News Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014
Intel Easy Migration’ App Makes Moving Files to Chromebooks Simple BY JOEY-ELIJAH SNEDDON OMG! Chrome! i
Intel gives Chromebook converts an assist with 'Easy Migration' tool by Jared Newman PCWorld
How to decide between a $199 Windows notebook and a Chromebook By David Gewirtz for DIY-IT | November 17, 2014
How a Chromebook is Locked Down to Protect You by How-To-Geek
Chromebooks vs. Windows Laptops: What Should You Buy? By Anna Attkisson, Laptop Mag & Tom's Guide Managing Editor | Aug 13, 2014
The Chromebook User Guide. A complete user guide for Chrome OS and Chromebooks.
Chromebooks aren’t just for kids anymore: How my mom made the switch from Windows by Brenden West on September 14, 2014
Chromebooks land first batch of Android apps – You may not have known that you wanted Android apps to run on Chrome OS, but Google thinks they should. The first four Android apps for Chromebooks are now available. by Seth Rosenblatt September 11, 2014
CNET.com feature articles on Chromebook
- Here you learn exactly what a Chromebook can do – Whether you own a Chromebook or not, right here is where you start learning how to use it. Article by Eric Franklin August 18, 2014
- What does it mean to 'Powerwash' a Chromebook?
- How to test out the latest Chrome OS features
- Three ways to make a Chromebook feel more like a PC
- How to access 1Password on a Chromebook
- How to add, manage user accounts on a Chromebook
- How to print from a Chromebook
- How to take a screenshot on a Chromebook
- Moving from Windows or OS X to a Chromebook