What Is A Mesh Home Network?
Mesh networking is a way for information to pass through several directly connected nodes to one another. A mesh WiFi router and its satellites act to get better WiFi signals encompassing a larger area. With Google WiFi, the satellite mesh units connect wirelessly to the base unit or can be connected using Ethernet cables.
I have recently installed a Google WiFi system in our home. All of the spotty connection issues we had with the Verizon router have been eliminated. The best speed test on my laptop had been 20 or 25 Mbps. The mesh system downloads 84 and uploads 80 Mbps, which’s the same as the desktop wired connection.
Verizon FIOS Setup
How to Use Your Own Router for Verizon Fios – By Josh Kirschner techlicious.com
Some of the steps are somewhat “technical,” but you don’t need to be a techie to follow them. Note: using your own router is only feasible for people who only use Fios for internet service. If you still have TV or VOIP service with Fios, replacing the Verizon router is a more complex process, and you may lose some features of your TV and VOIP.
- How to Use Your Own Router With Verizon FiOS by wikiHow – If your FIOS service includes television, you’ll have one additional expense.
Note: I have used Google WiFi Verizon’s router by simply attaching to the Verizon ethernet output and turning off the Verizon router WiFi. See “When double NAT works” in the following article. If all you care about is access to the Internet, then a double NAT setup will work out just fine.
- How to Best Use an Existing (ISP-Provided) Router or Gateway By dongknows.com – Ideally, you should use just one router for your home network. But sometimes there’s no choice, like when you have to keep that ISP-provided gateway and yet want to expand your system.
Setting Up Xfinity and Most Other ISP Systems
Does Google Nest WiFi (Google Wifi) Work With Xfinity? How To Setup by RobotPoweredHome.com
Note: Google Nest WiFi and Google WiFi use the same setup procedures.
Yes, Google Nest Wifi (Google WiFi) works with Xfinity internet. To set up the Google Wifi with Xfinity, enable bridge mode in your xFi wireless gateway by logging into Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1 and connect the Xfinity modem to your Google Nest Wifi using an ethernet cable.
- The Google WiFi mesh router it’s easy to set up and works great. Amazon
- Unmanaged Gigabit Switch – TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port or TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port
My Home Network Diagram
Google Mesh WiFi Only
- How to install and set up Google Wifi – By Google Nest youtube.com VIDEO
- Google Wifi Mesh Router Review: 6 Months Later – By youtube.com
- Mesh Wifi Explained – Which is the best? – Google Wifi – By PowerCert Animated Videos youtube.com
Smart Home hardware items we use in our home enhance entertainment, security, convenience, and home management.
- Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch – TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port or TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port
- Roku – Roku devices are simple to set-up and easy-to-use, they come with a simple remote.
- Tablo – Cancel Cable, Keep the DVR with Tablo.
- Google Home – Smart Speaker & Home Assistant – Google Home is a powerful speaker and voice Assistant. Play your music. Call your friends. Ask it questions. Control your home. 0610
- Lenovo Smart Display with Google Assistant – The Lenovo Smart Display brings you the best of the Google Assistant with an enhanced visual experience. You can do more, like tackling a new recipe, watching YouTube videos, checking the weather, or pulling up your agenda. Just say “Hey Google,” and you’ll see.
- Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat for Smart Home – Named the ‘Best Value’ smart thermostat of 2018 by USA Today’s Reviewed.com
- Alarm Relay – Around-the-clock home monitoring and direct access to emergency help when you need it.
- MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain – Open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone Easy-to-add functionality with existing garage door openers.
- Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera – 1080p full HD live stream direct to your smartphone day or night with night vision.
- Sonoff Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring – Smart remote control Socket: You can remotely/timely control ON/OFF any connected home appliance via APP eWeLink on your smartphone or tablet.
- Conico 1SK33W Wi-Fi Smart Power Strip – Control 4 smart plugs and 4 USB charging ports from your phone, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and Schedule on/off.
Check out the Senior Tech Group program Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value for more details. – Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed in real-time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box, or built into a Smart TV. –
Ethernet Cable – Category 5e or CAT5e – Connectors for CAT-5e Printable Instructions