Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value
Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real-time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media transmitted in a continuous stream of data and plays as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box, or built into a Smart TV.
Subscription Streaming Services:
- Best TV streaming service 2020: where to get the best online TV by TechRadar – TV streaming services compared so you can find the best
How does Netflix work? Unlimited Movies & TV episodes
You can watch instantly from any Internet-connected device that offers a Netflix app, such as a computer, Roku, DVD or Blu-ray player, HDTV, set-top box, home theater system, phone, or tablet. These devices are manufactured and sold by device manufacturers. For a more detailed list of devices, see the Netflix-ready Devices page.
For only $8.99 a month, Netflix lets you instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet.
Amazon Instant Video is available through your computer's web browser as well as hundreds of streaming media devices–including TVs, Roku, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and Android and iOS mobile devices. To learn more, go to Get Amazon Instant Video.
Hulu is a premium streaming TV is a destination that offers hundreds of thousands of hours of the best of the best television programming and movies to subscribers. With limited commercials for $5.99 per month or with no ads for $11.99 per month. SHOWTIME® available for an additional $10.99/month.
Acorn TV streams world-class mysteries, dramas, and comedies from Britain and beyond.
Binge-watch a classic series or discover your new favorite show among dozens of programs available exclusively on Acorn TV. With thousands of hours of commercial-free programming and new shows added weekly, there's always something to watch! Monthly $5.99 Automatic monthly billing. – Annual $59.99 A full year of Acorn TV for the price of 10 months.
HBO NOW, enjoy instant and unlimited access to every episode of every season of the best HBO shows, movies, comedy, sports, and documentaries. Stream 7 days free, then $14.99/month—cancel anytime. The free trial is for new HBO NOW customers only.
Live TV Streaming Options
- The Best Live TV Streaming Services for 2020 by PCMag – Have you ditched your cable provider, but still want to watch primetime network shows and sports? Subscribe to one of these top live TV services and get all the coverage you wish to over your internet connection.
- Best live TV streaming services for cord-cutters in 2020 by CNET – Sling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, and others let you ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. Here's how they stack up.
Hulu with Live TV beta – More Than Just Live TV. Watch your favorite live sports, news, entertainment, and more. Plus, get unlimited access to the entire Hulu streaming library. Stream full seasons of exclusive series, hit movies, current episodes, premium Hulu Originals, and more.
Sling TV is A La Carte TV – A La Carte TV is a choice in an industry that prevents it. Personalize your channel lineup.
Direct TV Now – Sign up & stream 120+ live channels and 10,000+ on-demand titles
Fubo TV – Fubo costs $45 a month ($20 for the first month). Additionally, a handful of niche channel add-ons range from $3 a month to $15 a month.
Watch Your Local Broadcast TV with Locast
Locast is a service providing local broadcast signals over the Internet in select cities. All you have to do is sign up online, provide your name and email address, and certify that you live in, and are logging on from, one of the select US cities. Then, you can select among local broadcasters and stream your favorite local station. It is free, but you have to donate $5 a month or $50 a year to remove the annoying ads.
Add DVR functions to Locast.
Download FitzyTV – Works with Locast to provide Cloud DVR functions. Log into Locast and turn your Android mobile or FireTV into a cable box with DVR!
DVR plans start at just $5/mo or $50/yr for 25 hours of cloud DVR storage. Try the DVR free for seven days! FitzyTV review – By Jared Newman TechHive
Best Streaming Video Services 2020 by Tom's Guide – To help you get the most out of your smart TV, game console, set-top box, tablet, smartphone, or computer, Tom's Guide has broken down our favorite streaming media services. Whatever you like to watch, there's a service with your tastes in mind and your price range.
Hardware Needed to Access Video Streaming Services
- You can watch instantly via your Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, or any other device that streams instantly from Netflix, Amazon Prime… You can also watch it on your computer.
- Most Smart TVs have Netflix and Amazon already on them—ready for you to watch. There's no need to add another device. Look for smart TVs with the Netflix Recommended TV logo.
- Roku $50 to $99 I like the Roku Ultra – The original, best-selling streaming player. With Roku, it's a snap to enjoy the best movies and TV shows, live sports, music, games and more – all instantly on your TV, whenever you want it. Roku What's On:
- No PC needed – Roku connects easily to your TV and wireless (WiFi) network at home. Be up and streaming in minutes. With the simple remote, you choose what you want to watch, and it starts instantly. It's even more convenient than watching a DVD.
- I recommend the Roku Ultra; it has many advanced features.
- Chromecast? – Stream entertainment in up to 4K Ultra HD and HDR. A streaming device that plugs into your TV's HDMI port, Chromecast Ultra provides fast, reliable 4k video with minimal buffering and smooth streaming. Use your iPhone®, iPad®, Android device, or laptop to stream video from thousands of Cast-enabled apps.
- With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, photos, and websites from YouTube, Google Play, Chrome, and more on your TV.
- Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Windows and Mac laptops, and Chromebook Pixel. And there's no remote required! Browse for entertainment, control playback, and adjust the volume using the smartphone, tablet, or laptop you know and love.
Over The Air TV
If you are in an area where over the air TV is available, use an antenna to get the n network programming for free. Besides, the quality will usually be better than possible by cable or satellite. Here are a few resources to check availability and what type of antenna you might need.
- Interactive TV Coverage Browser by TV Fool – This is a mapping tool that will let you browse the TV transmitters in your area and see their coverage maps.
- AntennaWeb the Authority on Digital Home Entertainment. Cut the Cord Discover how many FREE over-the-air channels are available from your local television broadcasters.
DVR for recording over the air TV
Watch TV on your terms with Tablo – Tablo is a DVR for cord-cutters. Discover, record, and stream free, local Over-the-Air TV broadcast programs on any device, anytime, anywhere in the world.
- Tablo Dual LITE OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with HDTV Antennas $139.99
- Tablo Quad OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with TV Antennas $199.99
I use the Electronic Master ANT5001 Digital Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna, compact size and easy to install, high performance for digital TV signal reception, and with dipole inbuilt for the excellent UHF band signal. Buy it at homedepot.com – Amazon – walmart.com
I just installed Google WiFi mesh router; it's easy to set up and works great.
What is a mesh home network?
Mesh networking is a way for information to pass through several nodes that are connected. A mesh WiFi router and its satellites act as extenders that allow you to get better WiFi signals encompassing a larger area. With Google WiFi, the satellite mesh units connect wirelessly to the base unit but can also be connected using Ethernet cables. My system has four Google WiFi units, all connected to the base using Ethernet cables. I bought the Google WiFi system, 3-Pack at Amazon.
My home network diagram.
Mesh Networking for the Masses – Google WiFi review: A perfect mesh router for most people. Google's latest home product brings plug-and-play wireless networking to any sized house.
The Most For Your Money – Monoprice is a premier manufacturer of high-quality cables, components, and accessories for computer and consumer electronics. It's not just about getting a reasonable price. There's no sense in buying a product that doesn't perform or won't last. Quality is a high priority at Monoprice.
- 28AWG HDMI High-Speed Certified Male to Male Cables
- 10ft 28AWG High-Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores – Black