Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value
Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box or built into a Smart TV.
Subscription streaming services:
How does Netflix work? Unlimited Movies & TV episodes
You can watch instantly from any Internet-connected device that offers a Netflix app, such as a computer, Roku, DVD or Blu-ray player, HDTV, set-top box, home theater system, phone or tablet. These devices are manufactured and sold by device manufacturers. For a more detailed list of devices, see the Netflix-ready Devices page.
For only $7.99 a month, Netflix let's you instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet.
Amazon Instant Video is available through your computer's web browser as well as hundreds of streaming media devices–including TVs, Roku, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and Android and iOS mobile devices. To learn more, go to Get Amazon Instant Video.
Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that offers hundreds of thousands of hours of the best of the best television programming and movies to subscribers with limited commercials for $7.99 per month or with no commercials for $11.99 per month. SHOWTIME® available for an additional $8.99/month.
Streaming services with live TV options
There are 5 major services that let you stream live TV over the internet — here's how they compare by Business Insider – Everyone in the tech industry wants your eyeballs. More specifically, a growing number of tech companies want to attract the millions who have ditched cable for services that stream live TV channels over the internet.
Hulu with Live TV beta – More Than Just Live TV. Watch your favorite live sports, news, entertainment, and more. Plus, get unlimited access to the entire Hulu streaming library.
Watch all your favorites – Stream full seasons of exclusive series, hit movies, current episodes, premium Hulu Originals, and more. Plus, watch Live and On Demand TV from 50+ top channels including sports and news.
TV just for you – Enjoy an all-new TV experience with personalized profiles and custom TV lineups. Record live TV starting with 50 hours of storage. Stream on multiple devices at home or on the go.
No commitments – No hidden fees, equipment rentals, or installation appointments. Hulu with Live TV starts at $39.99/month after your free trial. Cancel anytime.
Currently only available on these devices: Apple iPhone & iPad – Android Phones & tablets – Xbox One – Apple TV 4th generation – Chromecast
PlayStation Vue has most of the features and channels you get from your cable or satellite TV provider, without hidden fees or contracts. Its cloud DVR lets you record, pause and rewind live TV, and fast-forward through commercials on recorded shows. Local ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC channels are available in seven US cities, and… PlayStation View revue
Sling TV is A La Carte TV – A La Carte TV is a choice in an industry that prevents it. Personalize your own channel lineup. Start with the service that’s best for you, then customize with Extras in your favorite TV genres like Sports, Comedy, Kids, News, Lifestyle, Hollywood Movies, and Spanish TV. Change your service online anytime. No other TV provider can deliver the channels you get with Sling TV. Want to add even more channels? Go for it — you still won’t find a better value anywhere else. This is TV on your terms, not your TV companies. No useless channels, no one-size-fits-all models, no long-term contracts, no hidden fees, and easy online cancelation.
Direct TV Now – Sign up & stream 120+ live channels and 10,000+ on-demand titles
Best Streaming Video Services 2017 by Tom's Guide – The days of having to tune in live or buy expensive discs in order to watch your favorite shows and movies are gone. Online streaming makes it possible to watch everything from live news and sports to classic movies to modern TV favorites on your own time, and on any device you choose.
To help you get the most out of your smart TV, game console, set-top box, tablet, smartphone or computer, Tom's Guide has broken down our favorite streaming media services. Whatever you like to watch, there's a service with your tastes in mind, and in your price range.
Streaming video services can be accessed in many ways.
- You can watch instantly via your Xbox 360, PS3, Wii or any other device that streams instantly from Netflix, Amazon Prime… You can also watch instantly on your computer.
- Most Smart TVs have Netflix and Amazon already on them—ready for you to watch. There’s no need to add another device. Look for smart TVs with the Netflix Recommended TV logo.
- Roku $50 to $129 I like the Roku Ultra – The original, best-selling streaming player. With Roku, it’s a snap to enjoy the best movies and TV shows, live sports, music, games and more – all instantly on your TV, whenever you want it. Roku What's On:
- No PC needed – Roku connects easily to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home. Be up and streaming in minutes. With the simple remote, you choose what you want to watch, and it starts instantly. It’s even more convenient than watching a DVD.
- I personally recommend the Roku Ultra it has many advanced features.
- Chromecast? – Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Simply use an Android phone, tablet, iPhone®, iPad®, Mac® or Windows® laptop, or Chromebook to cast your favorite entertainment and apps right to the big screen. Chromecast Help
- With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, photos, and websites from YouTube, Google Play, Chrome and more on your TV.
- Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Windows and Mac laptops, and Chromebook Pixel. And there's no remote required! Browse for entertainment, control playback, and adjust the volume using the smartphone, tablet, or laptop you know and love.
DVR for recording over the air TV
Watch TV on your terms with Tablo – Tablo is a DVR for cord cutters. Discover, record and stream free, local Over-the-Air TV broadcast programs on any device, anytime, anywhere in the world.
- Tablo Dual LITE OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with HDTV Antennas $139.99
- Tablo Quad OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with TV Antennas $199.99
I use the Electronic Master ANT5001 Digital Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna, compact size and easy to install, high Performance for digital TV signal reception and with dipole inbuilt for the excellent UHF band signal. Buy it at homedepot.com – Amazon – walmart.com
I just installed Google WiFi mesh router it's easy to set up and works great.
What is a mesh home network?
Mesh networking is a way for information to pass through several nodes that are directly connected to one another. A mesh Wi-Fi router and its satellites act as extenders that allow you to get better Wi-Fi signals encompassing a larger area. With Google WiFi, the satellite mesh units connect wirelessly to the base unit but can also be connected using Ethernet cables. My system has four Google WiFi units all connected to the base using Ethernet cables. I bought the Google Wifi 4-Pack – Whole Home Mesh Wifi System from Costco for $300. My home network diagram.
Expand the reach of your network with the Google Wifi router at its new price.
Mesh Networking for the Masses – Google Wifi review: A perfect mesh router for most people. Google's latest home product brings plug-and-play wireless networking to any sized house.
Some streaming service channel lineups
|PlayStation Vue Channels|
- THE CORD CUTTER – CALCULATE WHAT IT WOULD COST TO GET ALL OF YOUR TV ONLINE
- Streaming Devices Guide — How To Choose The Right One For You
- YouTube TV vs DirecTV Now vs Sling TV vs PlayStation Vue: Face-Off!
- Sony PlayStation Vue review:
- Hulu Tips for Streaming TV Fans
- Which Video Streaming Service Is Best for You?
- The Best Media Streaming Devices for Your TV
Getting The Most For Your Money – Monoprice is a premier manufacturer of high-quality cables, components, and accessories for computer and consumer electronics. It’s not just about getting a great price. There’s no sense in buying a product that doesn’t perform or won’t last. Quality is a high priority at Monoprice. In addition to the comprehensive testing that is done at the factory level, they have a local product testing lab.
- 28AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables
- 10ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores – Black