Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value
Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real-time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media transmitted in a continuous stream of data and plays as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box or built into a Smart TV.
Subscription streaming services:
How does Netflix work? Unlimited Movies & TV episodes
You can watch instantly from any Internet-connected device that offers a Netflix app, such as a computer, Roku, DVD or Blu-ray player, HDTV, set-top box, home theater system, phone or tablet. These devices are manufactured and sold by device manufacturers. For a more detailed list of devices, see the Netflix-ready Devices page.
For only $8.99 a month, Netflix lets you instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet.
Amazon Instant Video is available through your computer's web browser as well as hundreds of streaming media devices–including TVs, Roku, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and Android and iOS mobile devices. To learn more, go to Get Amazon Instant Video.
Hulu is a premium streaming TV is a destination that offers hundreds of thousands of hours of the best of the best television programming and movies to subscribers. With limited commercials for $5.99 per month or with no ads for $11.99 per month. SHOWTIME® available for an additional $10.99/month.
Streaming services with live TV options
There are six major services that let you stream live TV over the internet by Business Insider. Everyone in the tech industry wants your eyeballs. More specifically, a growing number of tech companies want to attract the millions who have ditched cable for services that stream live TV channels over the internet.
Hulu with Live TV beta – More Than Just Live TV. Watch your favorite live sports, news, entertainment, and more. Plus, get unlimited access to the entire Hulu streaming library. Stream full seasons of exclusive series, hit movies, current episodes, premium Hulu Originals, and more.
PlayStation Vue has most of the features and channels you get from your cable or satellite TV provider, without hidden fees or contracts. Its cloud DVR lets you record, pause and rewind live TV and fast-forward through commercials on recorded shows. Local ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC channels are available in seven US cities, and… PlayStation View revue
Sling TV is A La Carte TV – A La Carte TV is a choice in an industry that prevents it. Personalize your channel lineup.
Direct TV Now – Sign up & stream 120+ live channels and 10,000+ on-demand titles
Fubo TV – Fubo costs $45 a month ($20 for the first month). Additionally, a handful of niche channel add-ons range from $3 a month to $15 a month.
Watch Your Local Broadcast TV with Locast
Locast is a service providing local broadcast signals over the Internet in select cities. All you have to do is sign up online, provide your name and email address, and certify that you live in, and are logging on from, one of the select US cities. Then, you can select among local broadcasters and stream your favorite local station. It is free, but you have to donate $5 a month or $50 a year to remove the annoying ads.
Add DVR functions to Locast
Download FitzyTV – Works with Locast to provide Cloud DVR functions. Log into Locast and turn your Android mobile or FireTV into a cable box with DVR!
DVR plans start at just $5/mo or $50/yr for 25 hours of cloud DVR storage. Try the DVR free for seven days! FitzyTV review – By Jared Newman TechHive
Best Streaming Video Services 2019 by Tom's Guide – To help you get the most out of your smart TV, game console, set-top box, tablet, smartphone or computer, Tom's Guide has broken down our favorite streaming media services. Whatever you like to watch, there's a service with your tastes in mind and your price range.
Streaming video services accessed in many ways.
- You can watch instantly via your Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, or any other device that streams instantly from Netflix, Amazon Prime… You can also watch on your computer.
- Most Smart TVs have Netflix and Amazon already on them—ready for you to watch. There’s no need to add another device. Look for smart TVs with the Netflix Recommended TV logo.
- Roku $50 to $99 I like the Roku Ultra – The original, best-selling streaming player. With Roku, it’s a snap to enjoy the best movies and TV shows, live sports, music, games and more – all instantly on your TV, whenever you want it. Roku What's On:
- No PC needed – Roku connects easily to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home. Be up and streaming in minutes. With the simple remote, you choose what you want to watch, and it starts instantly. It’s even more convenient than watching a DVD.
- I recommend the Roku Ultra it has many advanced features.
- Chromecast? – Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Use an Android phone, tablet, iPhone®, iPad®, Mac® or Windows® laptop, or Chromebook to cast your favorite entertainment and apps right to the big screen. Chromecast Help
- With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, photos, and websites from YouTube, Google Play, Chrome, and more on your TV.
- Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Windows and Mac laptops, and Chromebook Pixel. And there's no remote required! Browse for entertainment, control playback, and adjust the volume using the smartphone, tablet, or laptop you know and love.
DVR for recording over the air TV
Watch TV on your terms with Tablo – Tablo is a DVR for cord-cutters. Discover, record and stream free, local Over-the-Air TV broadcast programs on any device, anytime, anywhere in the world.
- Tablo Dual LITE OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with HDTV Antennas $139.99
- Tablo Quad OTA DVR for Cord Cutters – with WiFi – for use with TV Antennas $199.99
I use the Electronic Master ANT5001 Digital Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna, compact size and easy to install, high performance for digital TV signal reception and with dipole inbuilt for the excellent UHF band signal. Buy it at homedepot.com – Amazon – walmart.com
I just installed Google WiFi mesh router it's easy to set up and works great.
What is a mesh home network?
Mesh networking is a way for information to pass through several nodes that are connected. A mesh Wi-Fi router and its satellites act as extenders that allow you to get better Wi-Fi signals encompassing a larger area. With Google WiFi, the satellite mesh units connect wirelessly to the base unit but can also be connected using Ethernet cables. My system has four Google WiFi units all connected to the base using Ethernet cables. I bought the Google Wifi 4-Pack – Whole Home Mesh Wifi System from Costco for $300 or Google WiFi system, 3-Pack at Amazon.
My home network diagram.
Mesh Networking for the Masses – Google Wifi review: A perfect mesh router for most people. Google's latest home product brings plug-and-play wireless networking to any sized house.
Some streaming service channel lineups
|PlayStation Vue Channels|
Getting The Most For Your Money – Monoprice is a premier manufacturer of high-quality cables, components, and accessories for computer and consumer electronics. It’s not just about getting a reasonable price. There’s no sense in buying a product that doesn’t perform or won’t last. Quality is a high priority at Monoprice. In addition to the comprehensive testing that is done at the factory level, they have a local product testing lab.
- 28AWG HDMI High-Speed Certified Male to Male Cables
- 10ft 28AWG High-Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores – Black