Settings are an important if you expect to have the best experience running programs from the web or directly on your computer. Web services, social networks, web mail, even your banking service will have settings you should pay attention to. Many of these settings have a large influence on how secure and private your online experience will be.
- Chrome browser by Google
- Click the (wrench icon) check out Tools and Options
- In Tools you can manage extensions these are like add-ons in IE
- The Options area is where the start-up page is set, cash and cookie are also cleared in this area.
- The Tools pull down contains the Options area.
- In Options you will find settings for start page and cash clearing…
Web based email:
- Click the Gear icon and select Mail settings and Account settings
- In the Mail settings area General tab set font style, your picture, signature…
- At the set up import and send as settings
- The Lab tab has lots of great e-mail enhancements and helpers.
- The Accounts settings are where you can, change your password, set up password recovery options, edit your profile, and setup 2-step verification.
- Yahoo mail
- Click the down triangle after your name choose account information.
- Update your profile, change password, change security key…
- Hotmail / Windows Live mail
- Click the down triangle after your name choose Account.
- Update your profile, change password, manage other Live items.
- Click account choose Account Settings.
- Set your Name, Username, E-mail, Password, Privacy, Account Security, and deactivate account.
- Privacy (very important) set who can see your information
- Account security- Browse Facebook on a secure connection (https) whenever possible
- In the News Feed you can click a message and stop seeing game updates…
- Click profile select Edit your profile.
- Edit account information, change password, setup mobile device, change profile data.
Programs on your computer:
- Click Tools choose Options.
- General tab – Set folder to Save imported pictures to
- E-Mail tab – Choose size of pictures to include in e-mail.
- Web Albums tab – Select size, quality, and sharing functions for pictures uploaded to Picasa WEB.
- Name Tags tab – Choose face detection options.
- Apple iTunes
- Choose Preferences from the Edit pull-down
- General tab – Library name, program layout, Import CD and set Language
- Settings for Playback, Sharing, iTunes Store, Parential controls, your Devices
- Advanced tab – iTunes folder location and folder settings.
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Open Security Essentials choose Settings
- Microsoft Word
- Click Home orb, select Word Options
- Set how word displays, how and where to save, advanced settings, customize the toolbars, manage add-ins.
- Sign in choose Your Account
- Settings, password, credit cards, address book, profile…
Explore the Drop down menu. – Sometimes referred to as a pull-down menu or drop box, a drop down menu is a menu that appears when clicking on a button or text selection. For example, many programs will have a “File” drop down menu at the top left of their screen. Clicking on the “File” text generates a new menu with additional options.