2018 Apps and Extensions
Mobile app's are software program you can download and launch your phone or tablet. If you have a smartphone or another mobile device, you probably use apps. To play games, get driving directions, access news, books, weather, and more.
To download and use an app you'll need a smartphone or tablet with internet access, not every apps will work on all mobile devices. When you buy a device, you’ve committed to using the operating system and the apps that go with it. The Android, Apple, mobile operating systems each have app stores where you can, download, and install apps. You have to use the app store that supports with your device’s operating system. To install apps from the store, You'll to set up an account, and have to provide a credit card number if you’re going to download an app that isn’t free.
Google Chrome extensions are programs installed into Chrome to change or augment the browser's functionality. They can add new features to Chrome or change the behavior of the browser itself to make it more convenient for the user.
Some functions that a Google Chrome extension can add to Chrome are. Blocking ads, optimizing memory usage, password management, 2-factor helper, and protect privacy.
Extensions offer lots of extra functionality so that you can perform tasks easier or get more out of the websites you visit.
Unfortunately, while most Chrome extensions are beneficial, some developers create extensions that negatively modify the behavior of Chrome. For example, adware developers may install Chrome extensions without your approval that inserts advertisements on to web pages you're viewing, change search provider, change the new tab page, or hijack your homepage. You should always remove extensions you did not install yourself and of course, any malicious or badly behaving Google Chrome extensions when you encounter them.
- Google Photos – Your photos and videos will be automatically backed up and organized, so you can find and share them faster and you'll never run out of space on your phone.
- Google Maps
- Gboard — a new keyboard from Google
- How to use Gboard
- Gboard – the Google Keyboard – Android Apps on Google Play – Gboard has everything you love about Google Keyboard—speed and reliability, Glide Typing, voice typing, and more—plus Google Search built in.
- Gboard — a new keyboard from Google on the App Store – Gboard is a new keyboard from Google for your iPhone. It has all the things you would expect from a great keyboard — GIFs, emojis, and Glide.
- Dark Sky – The Accurate source of hyperlocal weather information. paid (Android only)
- Control and Manage Cell Data Usage
- Google's Datally App Can Save On Mobile Data Usage . Datally, is available in the Google Play marketplace. Once installed, the app conducts an audit on the apps you're running on your smartphone to find out what kind of data they're consuming. From there, you can decide on an app-by-app basis how much data they should consume. Datally also features a Data Saver Bubble feature that shows you data usage in real-time. You can use the bubble to block an app from consuming data. ( Android only)
How to Get Apps –
A mobile app is a software program you can download and access using your phone or tablet. If you have a smartphone or another mobile device, you probably use apps.
- To play games – Get turn-by-turn directions – Access news, books, weather, and more.
To download and use an app you'll need a smartphone or tablet with internet access. Not all apps work on all mobile devices. Once you buy a device, you’re committed to using the operating system and the type of apps that go with it. The Android, Apple, mobile operating systems have app stores online where you can look for, download, and install apps. You have to use an app store that works with your device’s operating system. Usually, you set up an account, you'll have to provide a credit card number if you’re going to download an app that isn’t free.
You can access the internet using a data plan tied to your phone service, or through a Wi-Fi hotspot, at home, the library, hotel, many restaurants, and cafes.
Wi-Fi connections usually are faster, but you have to be in the range of a hotspot to use one. Most public Wi-Fi hotspots like those in coffee shops, airports, and hotels – don't encrypt the information you send over the internet and are not secure.
With a home wireless network, you'll need to pay for internet access and a wireless router, and you’ll want to take steps to secure the network.
Some apps are distributed for free through app stores, their developers make money in a few ways:
- Some sell advertising space within the app.
- Some apps offer their basic versions for free if you like the app enough you might upgrade to a paid version.
- Some apps allow you to buy more features within the app itself. You might be billed for these in-app purchases through the app store. Most devices have settings that allow you to block in-app purchases.
- Some apps are offered free by a company to access their services, banking, shopping, hotel booking, ride apps…
- Many apps are a form of advertising.
I use Google Opinion Rewards to earn credits to pay for my apps. Answer quick surveys and earn Google Play credit with Google Opinion Rewards, an app created by the Google Surveys team.
How Get Apps
- Downloading Apps on Android by MakeUseOf.com – So you’re new to Android, and you’re trying to find where you go to download apps? We understand that it can be confusing at first, so we’d like to step you through all your options.
- Use the App Store on your iOS devices, Apple TV, or computer – Use the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV (4th generation), or computer to purchase and download apps, see your previous purchases, and more.