Program Notes for the 3rd week of the Month
Ongoing Special Program – Immediately after the 1 and 7 PM meetings each Monday.
Using A Password Manager Or Moving To A New One
Jan 16, 2023, 1 and 7 PM | Join Online Meeting > The Gadget Gurus, we have no prerequisites. Just ask questions about previous topics. I will also review the current tech news. We will do our best to answer computers, smartphones, apps, cameras, tablets, and internet questions. So bring your tech issues and enjoy the meeting.
Chrome tip: How to access Google Chrome’s hidden built-in notepad – By John F pocketables.com
- To open the Chrome browser notepad, simply type or (copy and paste) data:text/html, <html contenteditable> in your omnibar (address bar). That may seem daunting to remember every time you want to access the notepad, but it’s possible to add this to your bookmarks, making it easily accessible.
Tip: You can drag the URL from the omnibar to the bookmark bar directly. I edit the name, making it shorter to accommodate more items on the bookmark bar.
Q: Changing to a new password manager, would you change all your passwords? Elaine L
A: If you were using a master password shorter than 17 with Lastpass, change it to a strong one longer than 23 characters. I also recommend changing any passwords connected to any financial account and your email account at a minimum. Take this opportunity to also turn on Two Factor Authentication on all accounts that allow 2FA.
Q: Reading about different password managers, they all seem the same. In your opinion, which one is the easiest to use? Elaine Locascio
A: I have moved to Bitwarden. I will have an ongoing program after the 1 and 7 PM meetings each Monday covering the transition to Bitwarden.
Q: 1- iPhone 8 and iPad Air, my calendar items are disappearing from my iPhone. I don’t know why. I may have changed the settings. The appts sometimes appear when I add a new appointment like they are already there, but I can’t find them in a search. Anyway, I want to show all old appts if they are still there and sync my iPad and iPhone calendars without losing anything if that’s possible. I don’t understand how to sync or why old appts are gone. Cathy R
A: Sorry, I am not an apple expert, but here are some Apple help pages and videos.
– Create and edit events in Calendar on iPad
– iPad Tips for Seniors How To Use Apple Calendar – YouTube video by Rich Bowlin
A: I have been using Google Calendar for many years it works great for me. It is completely cross-platform. Here is the help page to get started on your Apple devices. Get started with Google Calendar – iPhone & iPad
Q: 2- Windows 11 laptop. File explorer is too confusing with the cloud addition. I just want to keep things on C drive like in the old days. I want to reclaim anything on the cloud and get files on my pc. I want nothing new to go to the cloud. I want to unlink from the cloud without any possibility of automatically linking to the cloud at startup etc. (my attempts to uncheck folders didn’t save, and they were automatically rechecked). I don’t mind uninstalling cloud if that is needed. — Cathy R
A: Completely remove Onedrive – Here is the complete help page.
1 – Select the Start button, type Programs in the search box, and then select Add or remove programs in the list of results.
2- Under Apps & features, find and select Microsoft OneDrive, and then select Uninstall.
Q: If I am in a zoom bee meeting. I want to show pictures I took with my phone. Then show it on my apple desktop during the show and tell part of the meeting portion. Then take them down. — Diane C
A: You would share your Mac screen showing iCloud or Google photos.
Use iCloud Photos
1- Go To Settings. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on your Apple ID. Go to iCloud and toggle the Photos option to green to sync photos from iPhone to Mac.
– Open Photos. Your photos should sync up across all your Apple devices, including your Mac.
A: I use Google Photos often in my online programs to show pictures. It works on all Apple, Windows, and Android devices. It’s free in your Google account you already have.
News & Tip
- How to Choose the Right Password Manager for You – By Jay Vrijenhoek intego.com
- 6 things I wish someone told me before I signed up for a password manager – By Karthik Iyer XDA Developers
- Use these model codes to find the best Chromebook – By Kevin C. Tofel aboutchromebooks.com
- Why Is My Chromebook So Slow? 6 Fixes to Try! – By Arjun Sha beebom.com
- How to Disable Fast Startup on Windows 10 – By How-To Geek How-To Geek
- How Secure is Google Drive in 2021? Answers & Tips for Online File Storage – By Josh Summers allthingssecured.com
- Google improving Docs voice typing and expanding browser support – By Abner Li 9to5Google
- How to use the Google Pixel’s Hold for Me feature – By Jon Gilbert Android Police
- Identity Thieves Bypassed Experian Security to View Credit Reports – by briankrebs
- Everyone Is Using Google Photos Wrong – By Matt Burgess WIRE
- Google Photos tries to be less confusing about backups – By Dallas Thomas Android Police
- What’s New in Chrome 109, Arriving Today – By How-To Geek How-To Geek
- What Is CPU Cache, and Why Does It Matter? – By How-To Geek How-To Geek
- Do LED Bulbs Burn Out? – By How-To Geek How-To Geek
Deals, Sales & Reviews
- This versatile HP 2-in-1 Chromebook is $300 off MSRP – By Gabriel Brangers chromeunboxed.com
This is the Chromebook I am currently using.
- Don’t miss this $200 discount on the solid HP Chromebook x360 14c – By Robby Payne chromeunboxed.com
- Chromecast with Google TV Review 2021: Is It Worth It? – tvguide.com
- Last Pass Breach 2022: My Recommendations – By Ask Leo! – Tech confidence & solutions YouTube
>> Companion Article
- It Pays to Be Skeptical – By Ask Leo! – Tech confidence & Solutions YouTube
- LastPass Breach Is Worse Than They Want You To Believe – By ITProTV YouTube
- Can an External Drive Fail? – By Ask Leo! – Tech confidence & Solutions YouTube