- Each user gets a personalized desktop.
- It remembers your programs can automatically log you into accounts like Gmail.
- All program files are save to the personal userspace.
- Remember when doing backups each User Account needs to be backed up.
Consider switching to Gmail as your e-mail provider.
Reasons to use Gmail: Gmail blocks SPAM, archives unlimited email, easy to log in when traveling, the address book is protected, no animated web adds, secure always connect with HTTPS (like your bank), and it’s free. Gmail makes email easy and efficient. And maybe even fun. The Senior Tech Group will help you set it up and get started.
Each user should have an e-mail account.
An individual Gmail account will give each user the following free services:
- A personal email account with an individualized address book.
- Google Calendar
- Google Photos
- Google Docs (in the cloud word processing and spreadsheet) with the essential features of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Google Voice – The last phone number you will ever need. All calls to this number can be ring any phone you choose. The voicemail can be transcribed and e-mail to you.
- Google Bookmarks – Synchronized to all computers you use.
- Google Toolbar – Great web browser spell checker, e-mail checker,
Print Pages as PDFs Without Installing Extensions.
- Open any web page inside Google Chrome, press Ctrl+P to open the Print dialog.
- Change the destination printer to “Save as PDF.”
- Hit the Print button, and the current web page, document, or Email will instantly download as a PDF document.
- Printing to PDF is useful for downloading copies of web pages that involve transactions, airline boarding passes, or a checkout page on a shopping website. Send downloaded PDF as an attachment via Email, great for having a friend or hotel front desk print your boarding pass when you don’t have a printer handy. You can also copy the PDF to a thumb drive for later printing.
- Chrome – Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and more natural.
- Firefox – The Firefox Web Browser is the faster, more secure, and fully customizable way to surf the web.
- Lastpass – LastPass is an online password manager and form-filler that makes web browsing more relaxed and more secure.
- FileZilla – FileZilla is a cross-platform graphical FTP, FTPS, and SFTP client a lot of features, supporting Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and more.
A Better free PDF Viewer
- PDF-XChange Editor – Those wishing to View/Edit/Modify and even OCR Image based PDF files on their Windows PC’s now have a FREE pdf reader alternative to the Adobe Reader! The PDF-XChange Editor is smaller, faster, and more feature-rich than any other FREE PDF Reader/ PDF Viewer/ PDF Editor available. The FREE download of the PDF-XChange Editor is usable without limitation for Private use.
- At the right side of the page in the “Download Now, Try this product for free!” section. Choose the “64 bit MSI Installer” for most Windows 10 computers.
This is the PDF viewer I use on all of my Windows computers. To use all of the editing features, you will need to buy the license, but viewing and printing are entirely free.
- FaxZero – Send a fax for free to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.
- magicJack PLUS costs $49.95 plus shipping and handling. – One year of free local and long-distance calling to the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, along with all the other great magicJack features included with your initial purchase. An additional year of service is $29.95 for magicJack PLUS.
- Wikipedia- Wikipedia is a free, web-based, collaborative, multilingual encyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikipedia Foundation.