Program Archive 2019
April 8, 2019, at 7:00 PM –The Gadget Gurus – We do not have any prerequisites, just come, ask questions about previous topics. I will also review the current tech news. We will do our best to answer questions concerning computers, smartphones, apps, cameras, tablets, the internet, and more. Bring your tech issues and enjoy the meeting.
> > Weekly App – Dark Sky for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store
- Dark Sky is the most accurate source of hyperlocal weather information. With down-to-the-minute forecasts, you’ll know exactly when the rain will start or stop, right where you're standing.
April 15, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Navigating Google, Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Wallet, Docs… – Google provides Internet services that let you search the web, create blogs, send email, word processing, spreadsheets, video chat, and publish web pages. Google has social networking tools, organization tools, and services for mobile devices, Google Wallet card, and even Google-branded merchandise. Type With Your Voice – You can type and edit a document by speaking in Google Docs. Note: This feature is only available in Chrome browsers.
- Simple Radio by Streema is the simplest way of listening to your favorite FM Radio stations, AM Radio, Internet Radio Online, and Free radio stations.
- Simple Radio by Streema is the simplest way of listening to your favorite FM Radio stations, AM Radio, Internet Radio Online, and Free radio stations.
April 29, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Use Google Photo To Manage Your Digital Pictures – All your photos organized and easy to find. Pictures on your computer or smartphone are backed up safely, organized and labeled automatically so that you can see them fast, and share them how you like. Google has built in some smart tools for sharing photos as well – drag to select a few shots, and with a couple of clicks, you can create a web album too. Free unlimited storage, automatic backup, and fun editing effects make Google Photos one of my favorite tools for managing photos to share with friends.
A revised version of David Bowie's Space Oddity, recorded by Commander Chris Hadfield on board the International Space Station. – Chris Hadfield.ca
> > Weekly App – Google Photos for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Google Photos is a new photo gallery from Google, made for the way you take photos today. Your photos and videos will be automatically backed up and organized, so you can find and share them faster – and never run out of space on your phone.
- Get real-time GPS navigation, traffic, and transit info, and explore local neighborhoods by knowing where to eat, drink and go – no matter what part of the world you’re in
May 13, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Online Shopping – Everyone loves saving money, and online shopping makes it easy. Back in the pre-internet age, if you wanted to save a few bucks, you either had to visit several stores to compare prices or spend an entire Sunday afternoon cutting coupons.
> > Weekly App – Android Auto for Android only.
- Android Auto is your smart driving companion that helps you stay focused, connected, and entertained with the Google Assistant. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and powerful voice actions, Android Auto is designed to make it easier to use apps that you love from your phone while you’re on the road.
- MyQ Garage enables smartphone control of most major garage door opener brands with Photo Eyes manufactured starting in 1993.
May 27, 2019, – Memorial Day
June 3, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Low-Cost Wireless Providers – Ting is a new mobile phone service that caters to people tired of dealing with complicated billing plans from carriers like AT&T or Verizon. Their slogan is ‘Mobile That Makes Sense’. Project Fi is a new wireless service that Google is launching to offer mobile service directly to users. The most innovative aspect of Google Fi is its pricing: Google Fi includes unlimited international texts, Wi-Fi tethering to use your phone as a hotspot, and access cellular coverage in 170+ countries.
> > Weekly App – Wyze Cam for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera – 1080p full HD live stream direct to your smartphone day or night with night vision.
- Smart Speaker & Home Assistant – Google Home is a powerful speaker and voice Assistant. Play your music. Call your friends. Ask it questions. Control your home.
June 17, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Do You Think Your PC Has a Virus – A computer virus is a malicious code that replicates by copying itself to another program, computer boot sector or document and changes how a computer works. The virus requires someone to knowingly or unknowingly spread the infection without the knowledge or permission of a user. A computer worm is programming that does not require human interaction to spread. Viruses and worms may also be known as malware. Browser hijacking is a form of unwanted software that modifies a web browser's settings without a user's permission, to insert unsolicited advertising into the user's browser. A browser hijacker may replace the existing home page, error page, or search engine with its own.
> > Weekly App – Pocket Casts for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Android Central says: “Pocket Casts is the best podcast app for Android”
- User-friendly shopping list and clever sharing functions, all people in the household know what's missing in the fridge and pantries. This way, you save plenty of time and money while shopping. Try it out now – it's free!
July 1, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Google Photos Assistant Is A Must Have Tool – One of the best features of the Google Photos app is Assistant. There's lots to learn in Google Photos, but the new Assistant feature is here to help. If you want to check up on the status of your photo backups, see the latest Creations that Google Photos has made for you, be alerted of space to be freed up on your device, Assistant is here to help. It's just a tap, swipe, or click away from your photo library, and it'll keep you in the loop with what's going on in the Google Photos world. It's an all-in-one notification center for everything that's happening with your photos, and it's quite useful. Here's how you use it.
> > Weekly App – Google Opinion Rewards for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Answer quick surveys and earn Google Play credit with Google Opinion Rewards, an app created by the Google Surveys team.
July 8, 2019, at 7:00 PM – The Gadget Gurus
> > Weekly App – aCalendar+ for Android only.
- aCalendar+ gives you many additional calendar features.
July 15, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value – Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box or built into a Smart TV.
> > Weekly App – Authy for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- The Authy app generates secure 2 step verification tokens on your device. It help’s you protect your account from hackers and hijackers by adding an additional layer of security.
- LastPass is a password manager and password generator that locks your passwords and personal information in a secure vault. From your LastPass vault, you can store passwords and logins, create online shopping profiles, generate strong passwords, track personal information in notes, and more. All you have to do is remember your LastPass master password, and LastPass will auto-fill web browser and app logins for you.
July 29, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Back To The Basic – And the "basics" aren't just for beginners. You always hear something new, or something that you have forgotten because you haven't used it for a long time. And we always appreciate having experienced users in these sessions to contribute their experience and knowledge to the group. Find out all the things you can do when you "right click" on the mouse – or the things you can do from the keyboard without the mouse.
> > Weekly App – Sensi for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Whether you’re using the Sensi™ Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat or the Sensi™ Wi-Fi Thermostat, you’ll enjoy complete control of your home comfort – Anytime. Anywhere.
- Google Pay is the fast, simple way to pay online, in stores and more. Book a trip, grab a meal, see a show, and enjoy new experiences – all without your wallet. Getting started on the web or with the app is easy. Just add a card, and you’re ready to go.
August 12, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Low Cost Land-line Phone – I use Google Voice with the OBi200 adaptor for a one time cost of less than $50. I do pay for GV911.COM $12 per year for E911 service.
> > Weekly App – Grammarly for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- The Grammarly Keyboard helps you write mistake-free and with ease, in any app, you use on your mobile device
- Chamberlain’s myQ-enabled products and myQ app allow you to easily open, close or check the status of your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone or tablet
August 26, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value – Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box or built into a Smart TV.
> > Weekly App – Pay with Privacy for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Get a new virtual card for every transaction. Generate random Privacy Visa® cards to protect yourself when you spend online.
September 2, 2019 – Library closed no gathering this week.
September 9, 2019, at 7:00 PM – The Gadget Gurus
> > Weekly App – Datally for Android sorry no Apple iOS version.
- Datally is a smart app by Google that helps you save, manage, and share your mobile data. On average, people save 21 percent of their mobile data—that’s like using data Monday to Thursday, and having Friday covered by Datally.
September 16, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Let's Look At Mobile Apps – If you have a smartphone or another mobile device, you probably use apps. To play games – Get turn-by-turn directions – Access news, books, weather, and more. Apps are easy to download and often free, mobile apps can be so convenient that you might download them without considering how they’re paid for or what information they may gather from your device. A mobile app is a software program you can download and access using your phone or tablet. Services, Shopping, Entertainment, and Apps I use. – Here are many of the services I enjoy regularly. You may also find some of them interesting and useful.
> > Weekly App – Speedtest for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Use Speedtest® by Ookla® for an easy, one-tap connection internet performance and speed test.
- Conveniently send and receive SMS messages from your computer.
September 30, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Backing up data – why you need to do it! – Data loss can happen in many ways. One of the most common causes is a physical failure of the media the data is stored on, in addition, MalWare can infect your system and corrupt or encrypt files. You probably have everything saved on your PCs hard drive. That hard drive will not live forever. To quote one of the tech geeks I follow, “there are only two types of hard drives – the ones that have failed and the ones that will fail.
> > Weekly App – Wyze for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- The Wyze app is the home for all your Wyze devices. Use your Wyze Cam or Wyze Cam Pan to live stream 1080p full HD video day or night, listen and talk through the built-in speaker and microphone.
- With the Google Home app, set up, manage and control your Google Home and Chromecast devices, plus thousands of connected home products like lights, cameras, thermostats and more – all from one app.
October 14, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Cloud Computing, Create Documents & Spreadsheets Online – You don't need to buy Microsoft Office! Create basic documents from scratch or start from a template. You can easily do all the basics, including making bulleted lists, sorting by columns, adding tables, images, comments, formulas, changing fonts and more. And it's free.
> > Weekly App – Google News for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Google News is a smart news app that organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
- The new Weather Underground Android app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps, and severe weather alerts.
October 28, 2019, at 7:00 PM – What is a Chromebook? – A Chromebook is a new type of computer designed to help you get things done faster and easier. Powered by Google's Chrome OS™, and featuring built-in, up-to-date virus protection along with Google apps and services like Gmail™, Google Calendar™, Docs and Google Play™ (plus thousands more in the Chrome Web Store™). Unlike traditional PCs, Chromebooks update themselves automatically for free, so you always have the latest and greatest version, while your stuff stays safe with Google Drive™ online file storage that's automatically backed up. And Chromebooks play nicely with your other devices—your phone, tablet or another computer—so you can stay in sync with your day from.
> > Weekly App – Rain Alarm Pro for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- This weather app alerts you when rain is approaching.
- Google Authenticator generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone.
November 11, 2019, at 7:00 PM – What's a Podcast? The new on-demand radio and video service. Podcasts can be videos or audio only, I personally mostly listen to audio podcasts. They can be played on a web browser like Chrome or Safari but the best experience is to get some type of podcast management app for your phone or tablet. I use a podcast player Pocket Casts app.
> > Weekly App – Mint for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Mint is the free money manager and financial tracker app from the makers of TurboTax.
- Every day, millions of professionals and passionate learners use Feedly on their phones and tablets to follow the blogs, magazines, and other sources that matter to them.
November 25, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Use strong Passwords – Your passwords are the keys to your internet life. Use strong passwords and keep the bad guys out. LastPass Free Password Manager – Stop using the same password for all sites – Now you can finally use long, complex, different passwords for each site and no longer need to worry about forgetting them. You can stop storing passwords in the browser’s password manager – Browser password managers are not only non-portable across computers, but it is also a major security risk. Two Factor Authentication – Two-factor authentication means using two authentication methods (e.g. password, the value from a physical token, text message, or automated voice call with a token number) to increase the assurance that the bearer has been authorized to access secure systems. Two-factor authentication is one of the best things you can do to make sure your accounts don't get hacked.
> > Weekly App – Microsoft Authenticator for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Sign in is easy, convenient, and secure when you use Microsoft Authenticator. Use your phone, not your password, to log into your Microsoft account.
- Use Pocket to capture the content that comes at you all day long, and curate your own space filled with only the topics you care about.
December 9, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Computer & Internet Security – Simple tips to reduce your exposure to spyware and viruses: – Stop using Windows as an administrator. Use it as a limited user instead. – Use Google Chrome as your web browser. It's free and far more secure. – Don't use Java, unless you know you need it. – Don't click on links in an email. – Only get software from the original vendors. – Keep the antivirus software up to date. – Be careful of what gets installed, and be careful what you click on.
> > Weekly App – Amazon Shopping for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Shop millions of products on any of Amazon's sites around the world from a single app
- ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.
December 23, 2019, at 7:00 PM – Remote Support for Windows, Mac, and Android phones and tablets. – We have implemented a software system/tool to remotely connect to your computer. This allows us to provide remote help installing a program, using an application, fix a problem… With TeamViewer Quick Support or Chrome Remote Desktop tool, you can allow me to remotely connect to your PC. No installation is required, you download then run the web application by clicking one of the icons below.
> > Weekly App – Garage Sales for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Discover the fun of garage sale shopping! Garage Sale Map is an app for finding garage sales, yard sales, and estate sales around you on a map.