Portable Backup Generator by Glenn Musser STG
I wanted a generator that would permit powering important circuits in our home during a power outage. I wanted a generator that was quiet, produced clean power, is fuel-efficient, portable, and easy to use. These requirements point to the inverter type generator, they are quiet, efficient, and portable. I opted for the WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator. It has enough power to operate our furnace (not AC), refrigerator, freezer, internet, TV, garage door, and necessary lights. All running in economy mode at less than 50% output. Only when using our microwave does the load jump to about 90% of the full load power capacity.
Here are the things I used to make connecting during a power outage safe and easy.
- WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator — WEN Products
- Reliance Controls ProTran 306C Indoor Manual Transfer Switch (30A)
- Reliance Controls – YouTube Installation instruction videos
- Square D by Schneider Electric QO200TRCP QO 60 Amp Not Fusible AC Disconnec
- Leisure RV 125V 30 AMP Power Plug Twist Lock Inlet with 3 Stainless Steel Plins
- Amazon.com: X-Haibei RV Extension Power Cord 30A Twist Lock, 30 Amp
- Amazon.com: WEN 55201 Magnetic Oil Dipstick for Inverter Generators
- Amazon.com: No-Spill 1405 2-1/2-Gallon Poly Gas Can
- Amazon.com: STA-BIL (22214) Storage Fuel Stabilizer
- Amazon.com : Titanker Bike Cable Lock
My Backup Power Changeover Procedure Document
During a power outage follow these steps to bring the backup generator online: