Snowbird Tech Group
Gathering Each Monday – 1:15 PM in the Groves Clubhouse
Our free gatherings are open to everyone!
No matter what operating system your computers, tablets or phone uses or if you are thinking about getting involved with some new tech or making a change, this is the place for you.
We do not have any prerequisites, just come, ask questions, bring your tech issues and enjoy.
Subscribe to Our Mailing List please use this link to sign-up. We will use the list to send you notifications of upcoming programs, tech news, and security alerts. We'll never SPAM your inbox or share your email with anyone.
- Google is now offering cell phone service named "Google Fi" check out the details.
- Lower Your Mobile & Land Line Phone Costs
The Gadget Gurus: Before and after the regular meetings in the Club House, we will be available for one-on-one assistance with your computers, smartphones, cameras, tablets, etc. Bring your tech issues and enjoy.
February 24, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Cloud Computing, Create Documents & Spreadsheets Online – You don't need to buy Microsoft Office! Create basic documents from scratch or start from a template. You can easily do all the basics, including making bulleted lists, sorting by columns, adding tables, images, comments, formulas, changing fonts and more. And it's free.
Privacy.com Your money.Your rules.- Gain peace of mind with Privacy, the online card that protects your money and gives you full control when shopping online.
- Google News is a smart news app that organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
- The new Weather Underground Android app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps, and severe weather alerts.
March 2, 2020, at 1:15 PM – What is a Chromebook? – A Chromebook is a new type of computer designed to help you get things done faster and easier. Powered by Google's Chrome OS™, and featuring built-in, up-to-date virus protection along with Google apps and services like Gmail™, Google Calendar™, Docs and Google Play™ (plus thousands more in the Chrome Web Store™). Unlike traditional PCs, Chromebooks update themselves automatically for free, so you always have the latest and greatest version, while your stuff stays safe with Google Drive™ online file storage that's automatically backed up. And Chromebooks play nicely with your other devices—your phone, tablet or another computer—so you can stay in sync with your day from.
Grammarly – Take the guesswork out of great writing. Check your emails, documents, essays, and more. Eliminate grammar errors. Easily improve any text. Services: Advanced Grammar Rules, Contextual Spell Checker, Vocabulary Enhancement, Plagiarism Checker. Grammarly Premium Plans > $29.95/ month – Quarterly $19.98/ month one payment of $59.95 – Annual $11.66/ month one amount of $139.95. Tip: Create an account and use the free version in a few weeks Grammarly will offer special pricing to upgrade. I always get the yearly premium service for 50 or 55% off (less than $70 a year).
- This weather app alerts you when rain is approaching.
- Google Authenticator generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone.
March 9, 2020, at 1:15 PM – What's a Podcast? The new on-demand radio and video service. Podcasts can be videos or audio only, I personally mostly listen to audio podcasts. They can be played on a web browser like Chrome or Safari but the best experience is to get some type of podcast management app for your phone or tablet. I use a podcast player Pocket Casts app.
> > Weekly App – Mint for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Mint is the free money manager and financial tracker app from the makers of TurboTax.
- Every day, millions of professionals and passionate learners use Feedly on their phones and tablets to follow the blogs, magazines, and other sources that matter to them.
March 16, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Use strong Passwords – Your passwords are the keys to your internet life. Use strong passwords and keep the bad guys out. LastPass Free Password Manager – Stop using the same password for all sites – Now you can finally use long, complex, different passwords for each site and no longer need to worry about forgetting them. You can stop storing passwords in the browser’s password manager – Browser password managers are not only non-portable across computers, but it is also a major security risk. Two Factor Authentication – Two-factor authentication means using two authentication methods (e.g. password, the value from a physical token, text message, or automated voice call with a token number) to increase the assurance that the bearer has been authorized to access secure systems. Two-factor authentication is one of the best things you can do to make sure your accounts don't get hacked.
> > Weekly App – Microsoft Authenticator for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Sign in is easy, convenient, and secure when you use Microsoft Authenticator. Use your phone, not your password, to log into your Microsoft account.
- Use Pocket to capture the content that comes at you all day long, and curate your own space filled with only the topics you care about.
March 23, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Online Shopping – Everyone loves saving money, and online shopping makes it easy. Back in the pre-internet age, if you wanted to save a few bucks, you either had to visit several stores to compare prices or spend an entire Sunday afternoon cutting coupons.
> > Weekly App – Android Auto for Android only.
- Android Auto is your smart driving companion that helps you stay focused, connected, and entertained with the Google Assistant. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and powerful voice actions, Android Auto is designed to make it easier to use apps that you love from your phone while you’re on the road.
- MyQ Garage enables smartphone control of most major garage door opener brands with Photo Eyes manufactured starting in 1993.
March 30, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Remote Support for Windows, Mac, and Android phones and tablets. – We have implemented a software system/tool to remotely connect to your computer. This allows us to provide remote help installing a program, using an application, fix a problem… With TeamViewer Quick Support or Chrome Remote Desktop tool, you can allow me to remotely connect to your PC. No installation is required, you download then run the web application by clicking one of the icons below.
> > Weekly App – Garage Sales for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Discover the fun of garage sale shopping! Garage Sale Map is an app for finding garage sales, yard sales, and estate sales around you on a map.
The Senior Tech Group brings technology users together to share knowledge and experience. User groups represent the spirit of the frontier, a community getting together to do things that no individual ought to have to do alone. User groups founded on the principle of “members helping members.” We are particularly interested in helping those who have limited or no experience with computers so they may participate in the rapid transition from traditional means of communications and commerce to the Internet. So please invite your "non-connected" neighbors to come along to a meeting or clinic and see how quickly we can help them learn what they need to know. And please understand that, while a listed presentation topic may not be of particular interest, the discussion often branches into other issues of importance to those attending and that there is no meeting where you don't learn something new.
A snowbird is a term often associated with people who move from the higher latitudes and colder climates of the northern USA and Canada and migrate southward in winter to warmer locales such as Florida or elsewhere along the Sun Belt of the southern United States.
During our group meetings, we will explore the following topics and more.
- Getting started with a computer
- Using the Internet more effectively
- Shopping online
- Talking online using video chat, webcam, and Skype
- Using your computer and its software
- Digital photography
- Sharing photos on the Internet
- Connecting to wireless Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Building web pages
- Using social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc.
- Set up your web address and personalized e-mail address.
Best Features in the New Gmail by How-To-Geek – Gmail makes email easy and efficient. And maybe even fun.