Snowbird Tech Group
Gathering Each Monday – 1:15 PM in the Groves Clubhouse
Our free gatherings are open to everyone!
No matter what operating system your computers, tablets or phone uses or if you are thinking about getting involved with some new tech or making a change, this is the place for you.
We do not have any prerequisites, just come, ask questions, bring your tech issues and enjoy.
Subscribe to Our Mailing List please use this link to sign-up. We will use the list to send you notifications of upcoming programs, tech news, and security alerts. We'll never SPAM your inbox or share your email with anyone.
The Gadget Gurus: Before and after the regular meetings in the Club House, we will be available for one-on-one assistance with your computers, smartphones, cameras, tablets, etc. Bring your tech issues and enjoy.
January 27, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Streaming Video Your Best TV Entertainment Value – Streaming video is content sent in compressed form over the Internet and displayed by the viewer in real time. With streaming video or streaming media, a Web user does not have to wait to download a file to play it. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream of data and is played as it arrives. The user needs a player, which is a special program that uncompresses and sends video data to the display and audio data to speakers. A player can be either an integral part of a browser, a set-top box or built into a Smart TV.
> > Weekly App – Authy for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- The Authy app generates secure 2 step verification tokens on your device. It help’s you protect your account from hackers and hijackers by adding an additional layer of security.
- LastPass is a password manager and password generator that locks your passwords and personal information in a secure vault. From your LastPass vault, you can store passwords and logins, create online shopping profiles, generate strong passwords, track personal information in notes, and more. All you have to do is remember your LastPass master password, and LastPass will auto-fill web browser and app logins for you.
February 3, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Back To The Basic – And the "basics" aren't just for beginners. You always hear something new, or something that you have forgotten because you haven't used it for a long time. And we always appreciate having experienced users in these sessions to contribute their experience and knowledge to the group. Find out all the things you can do when you "right click" on the mouse – or the things you can do from the keyboard without the mouse.
> > Weekly App – Sensi for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Whether you’re using the Sensi™ Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat or the Sensi™ Wi-Fi Thermostat, you’ll enjoy complete control of your home comfort – Anytime. Anywhere.
- Google Pay is the fast, simple way to pay online, in stores and more. Book a trip, grab a meal, see a show, and enjoy new experiences – all without your wallet. Getting started on the web or with the app is easy. Just add a card, and you’re ready to go.
February 10, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Do You Think Your PC Has a Virus – A computer virus is a malicious code that replicates by copying itself to another program, computer boot sector or document and changes how a computer works. The virus requires someone to knowingly or unknowingly spread the infection without the knowledge or permission of a user. A computer worm is programming that does not require human interaction to spread. Viruses and worms may also be known as malware. Browser hijacking is a form of unwanted software that modifies a web browser's settings without a user's permission, to insert unsolicited advertising into the user's browser. A browser hijacker may replace the existing home page, error page, or search engine with its own.
> > Weekly App – Pocket Casts for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Android Central says: “Pocket Casts is the best podcast app for Android”
- User-friendly shopping list and clever sharing functions, all people in the household know what's missing in the fridge and pantries. This way, you save plenty of time and money while shopping. Try it out now – it's free!
February 17, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Let's Look At Mobile Apps – If you have a smartphone or another mobile device, you probably use apps. To play games – Get turn-by-turn directions – Access news, books, weather, and more. Apps are easy to download and often free, mobile apps can be so convenient that you might download them without considering how they’re paid for or what information they may gather from your device. A mobile app is a software program you can download and access using your phone or tablet. Services, Shopping, Entertainment, and Apps I use. – Here are many of the services I enjoy regularly. You may also find some of them interesting and useful.
> > Weekly App – Speedtest for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Use Speedtest® by Ookla® for an easy, one-tap connection internet performance and speed test.
- Conveniently send and receive SMS messages from your computer.
February 24, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Cloud Computing, Create Documents & Spreadsheets Online – You don't need to buy Microsoft Office! Create basic documents from scratch or start from a template. You can easily do all the basics, including making bulleted lists, sorting by columns, adding tables, images, comments, formulas, changing fonts and more. And it's free.
> > Weekly App – Google News for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Google News is a smart news app that organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
- The new Weather Underground Android app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps, and severe weather alerts.
March 2, 2020, at 1:15 PM – What is a Chromebook? – A Chromebook is a new type of computer designed to help you get things done faster and easier. Powered by Google's Chrome OS™, and featuring built-in, up-to-date virus protection along with Google apps and services like Gmail™, Google Calendar™, Docs and Google Play™ (plus thousands more in the Chrome Web Store™). Unlike traditional PCs, Chromebooks update themselves automatically for free, so you always have the latest and greatest version, while your stuff stays safe with Google Drive™ online file storage that's automatically backed up. And Chromebooks play nicely with your other devices—your phone, tablet or another computer—so you can stay in sync with your day from.
> > Weekly App – Rain Alarm Pro for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- This weather app alerts you when rain is approaching.
- Google Authenticator generates 2-Step Verification codes on your phone.
March 9, 2020, at 1:15 PM – What's a Podcast? The new on-demand radio and video service. Podcasts can be videos or audio only, I personally mostly listen to audio podcasts. They can be played on a web browser like Chrome or Safari but the best experience is to get some type of podcast management app for your phone or tablet. I use a podcast player Pocket Casts app.
> > Weekly App – Mint for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Mint is the free money manager and financial tracker app from the makers of TurboTax.
- Every day, millions of professionals and passionate learners use Feedly on their phones and tablets to follow the blogs, magazines, and other sources that matter to them.
March 16, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Use strong Passwords – Your passwords are the keys to your internet life. Use strong passwords and keep the bad guys out. LastPass Free Password Manager – Stop using the same password for all sites – Now you can finally use long, complex, different passwords for each site and no longer need to worry about forgetting them. You can stop storing passwords in the browser’s password manager – Browser password managers are not only non-portable across computers, but it is also a major security risk. Two Factor Authentication – Two-factor authentication means using two authentication methods (e.g. password, the value from a physical token, text message, or automated voice call with a token number) to increase the assurance that the bearer has been authorized to access secure systems. Two-factor authentication is one of the best things you can do to make sure your accounts don't get hacked.
> > Weekly App – Microsoft Authenticator for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Sign in is easy, convenient, and secure when you use Microsoft Authenticator. Use your phone, not your password, to log into your Microsoft account.
- Use Pocket to capture the content that comes at you all day long, and curate your own space filled with only the topics you care about.
March 23, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Online Shopping – Everyone loves saving money, and online shopping makes it easy. Back in the pre-internet age, if you wanted to save a few bucks, you either had to visit several stores to compare prices or spend an entire Sunday afternoon cutting coupons.
> > Weekly App – Android Auto for Android only.
- Android Auto is your smart driving companion that helps you stay focused, connected, and entertained with the Google Assistant. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and powerful voice actions, Android Auto is designed to make it easier to use apps that you love from your phone while you’re on the road.
- MyQ Garage enables smartphone control of most major garage door opener brands with Photo Eyes manufactured starting in 1993.
March 30, 2020, at 1:15 PM – Remote Support for Windows, Mac, and Android phones and tablets. – We have implemented a software system/tool to remotely connect to your computer. This allows us to provide remote help installing a program, using an application, fix a problem… With TeamViewer Quick Support or Chrome Remote Desktop tool, you can allow me to remotely connect to your PC. No installation is required, you download then run the web application by clicking one of the icons below.
> > Weekly App – Garage Sales for Android and Apple iOS version in the iTunes Store.
- Discover the fun of garage sale shopping! Garage Sale Map is an app for finding garage sales, yard sales, and estate sales around you on a map.
The Senior Tech Group brings technology users together to share knowledge and experience. User groups represent the spirit of the frontier, a community getting together to do things that no individual ought to have to do alone. User groups founded on the principle of “members helping members.” We are particularly interested in helping those who have limited or no experience with computers so they may participate in the rapid transition from traditional means of communications and commerce to the Internet. So please invite your "non-connected" neighbors to come along to a meeting or clinic and see how quickly we can help them learn what they need to know. And please understand that, while a listed presentation topic may not be of particular interest, the discussion often branches into other issues of importance to those attending and that there is no meeting where you don't learn something new.
A snowbird is a term often associated with people who move from the higher latitudes and colder climates of the northern USA and Canada and migrate southward in winter to warmer locales such as Florida or elsewhere along the Sun Belt of the southern United States.
During our group meetings, we will explore the following topics and more.
- Getting started with a computer
- Using the Internet more effectively
- Shopping online
- Talking online using video chat, webcam, and Skype
- Using your computer and its software
- Digital photography
- Sharing photos on the Internet
- Connecting to wireless Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Building web pages
- Using social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc.
- Set up your web address and personalized e-mail address.
Best Features in the New Gmail by How-To-Geek – Gmail makes email easy and efficient. And maybe even fun.